Nancy, traditional capital of Lorraine and fifth city of France, was on objective to be covered both as a military and as a political prize.
Though the city itself had not been formally annexed by the Germans after their 1940 victory, it closely associated itself with, and was regarded as the political leader of, the region to the east which had been incorporated into the Reich.
By its very size and location Nancy was certain to be a center of the German occupation forces.
With a population of more than 120,000 - and 50,000 more in the suburbs - Nancy was an important communications center 200 miles east of Paris and 60 miles southwest of the German border.
It was an important railway center; the Rhine-Marne canal and its branches provided other arteries of commerce for the city.
An important position in industry was assured by its location near the rich Lorraine iron ore deposits.
Aside from the mining there were manufactures of shoes, glass, furniture, casks, tobacco.
It was proud of its university, and of its artisans.
Now a city of fine buildings and beautiful churches, it traced its colorful history back to the 11th and 12th Centuries.
And it was the symbol of these people - the cross of Lorraine - which had become the symbol of the Fighting French.
(The origin of their double-barred cross is traced back to the Crusades and the conquest of Jerusalem by Godfrey of Bouillon, Duke of Lorraine.)
The March Lorraine practically had become a second national anthem for the French.